Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Lions, Tigers, and Worms?

Ok, that was not a very good pun. Here is an article I was tipped off to by reading my Linked In update today.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/157876/protecting_against_the_rampant_conficker_worm.html

Protecting Against the Rampant Conficker Worm by Erik Larkin, PC World on Jan 16, 2009. There are links warning of a new strain due on April Fool's Day.

My rationale for writing this (since there are too many threats to bother writing about) is this:
1. Make sure you are current on all your OS updates and patches (this is free) and critical to safe computing
2. Be sure you have anti-virus software that is current, has updates .dat files, and is scheduled to run regularly
3. Install and run spyware software on your computer
4. If you have broadband internet (such as Road Runner or whatever is available in your area) - you really need a router to act as a fire wall.
5. Do your research - take time to learn a little about security and keep your computer(s) running healthy.

To all my students - PLEASE follow my advice above to prevent sending me infected files to grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment